Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Method to the Madness-Idea for Duke Wellington, P.I.

I got the idea for the character Duke Wellington, P.I. when someone asked me, since I was considered a romance novelist, could I write a book that even men would want to read. Now, I know that if a person likes a good story, they would read anything from any genre. I am aware that people have a preference on what kind of books they will read. I gave it some thought and then let it go for a little while.
Writing romance novels was a safe bet, as I know that women like to curl up to a good romance and a glass of wine or tea. I am a romantic at heart and I know what I would like to read, ergo a romance writer. I will admit that I did not wish to be pegged as just a one genre writer, so I needed to revisit my decision.
One day I had read about the pros and cons of casting Idris Elba as the next James Bond. Typically, Bond is a Brit, but there was so much ado about Bond being white and Idris Elba is, obviously, not. A couple of days later, I heard question pop in my head again, "Can you write a book that men would want to read?" Eureka! People are against the idea of Idris playing Bond and I need to write a book that men want to read. I knew what to do, and kill two birds with...you know the rest. I would write a character for Idris to play. The character would be a African-American private investigator and I will turn it into a series.
Thus, the character Duke Wellington, P.I. was born. With his many cases we could go a few books and I would feel that I have done a great justice in helping a talented actor by offering him a fantastic character to play. I would have written books for men to enjoy and everyone is happy. I have come up with several ideas for the cases for the series. I even have an idea for a case that will find Duke going to the U.K. Now, I can't say that he will 'run' into Bond while he's there, but who knows what could happen down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment