Wednesday, April 29, 2015

My Book Signing

I had my book signing last week and it was very successful, for a first signing anyway.
There were family and a few young ladies who were there to support me and wanting to know what "Another Chance" was all about. I was a tad nervous, but not that much.
   I decided to give a synopsis of the story and then read the first 12 pages of the novel and leave it at a cliff hanger. Since I was given an hour and a half, the first half hour was given to give people time to arrive, I had to pace myself. The cliff hanger approach seems to work, as people want to know what happens next. 
   This is a suspense romance novel, so I am able to read a little just to whet the appetite. There was one unknown in the crowd who just asked what happened to the character, and everyone in unison told him that he needed to buy a copy and find out. This gentleman decided that he wanted to give me pointers on how to "look' the part on my next book signing, all the way down to using lip gloss to stand out as it is shiny. I've heard of creative criticism, but lip  gloss, from a man?
   After I read I was able to sell a few copies. There was even an attendee that purchased four copies to give as gifts. 
   I have another signing in a few days with unknowns and this will be the test to show how I handle being out of my comfort zone and really starting to "work" an audience.



No comments:

Post a Comment