Friday, March 20, 2015

Music of a Generation

I miss my music. I say my music as it is the music I grew up with. Those singers that made you sit and listen, to the entire album. When Otis was Sitting on the Dock of the Bay; Marvin Heard it through the Grapevine; When Lutha (not Luther) was the Superstar; Peabo wanted you to Feel the Fire; Barry said Practice what you Preach; and Teddy asked Can't We Try. Pardon me as I have my Quiet Storm moment. The solo artists of yesteryear always brought their "A" game with what ever they did; no need for the aid of the studio magic when they were in concert, it sounded the same.
   I remember hearing Marvin Gaye sing "Distant Lover" to the screams of his adoring fans. Even at the end of his life he was still making his fan base know that he was a true legend with his final song "Sexual Healing".
   My older brother introduced me to Peabo Bryson . He would play his "Crosswinds" album constantly. The one thing about Peabo, he was easy on the eyes as well as being able to sing a great love song.
   Teddy Pendergrass music was introduced to me by an older cousin. So was Barry White. I saw Luther Vandross in concert in 1984. He had the silky smooth voice. The unbelievable control he had of his voice.
   I really can not get into today's singers, as they really don't appeal to me at all. I've tried listen to Anthony Hamilton, on one of my cousin's insistence. Trey Songz, nothing. To Ne-Yo, I have to say oh no. I have been waiting for the next big solo artist for a while now and it doesn't seem like its ever going to happen, not in my life time anyway.
   I consider myself a music buff, as the 650 songs in my Itunes catalog, that I use when I have parties says, that I am. I try to listen with great discernment to all types of music. The conclusion that I come to each time is, there are no more great singers, in my honest opinion.
   So what's your opinion? Who is your favorite solo artist?
Next week I want to discuss great female artist.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite male singers are: The Temptations- David Ruffin... He had a sexy voice LOL, My beloved Luther V - I fell in-love with Luther's voice when he sang jingles for McDonalds in the 70's, Marvin Gaye, Barry "the Mystro" White, Teddy "The teddy bear" P, Peabo, Smoky Robinson, Maxwell, and Michael Jackson. I was blessed to see Teddy P In the late 70's at Madison Garden - what a treat.... And Luther in late 80's.
    The ol'school sound is the best. My playlist have over 400 songs with a wide variety of songs.

    ReplyDelete