Monday, May 11, 2015

Luke and Laura, Etc.

I spent a couple of hours the other night looking at scenes of one of the most interesting "love" stories on daytime television. The story of Luke and Laura. I say interesting as I did finally see the "rape" scene. It was rather tame for the most part, I don't think daytime television in the seventies would have allowed anything too graphic. 

I often wondered how they made the leap of what Luke Spencer did to Laura Webber be equated to 'love'. It was said that they really loved each other and the thought of Luke dying and never having touched her and let her know how he felt about her was too much for him. 

This isn't about the dreadful thing that was done to Laura, but more about how people misconstrue what love is. I am also perplexed about how she couldn't stay away from him after the deed  was done. The fact that Luke was the only person she wanted to see when she was taken to the hospital and that she would not tell anyone that Luke had, in fact, been the perpetrator. 

I  have met some very interesting people over the years. People who have allowed the worst possible things to happen to them in the name of love. The thing is love is not suppose to hurt literally or figuratively for that matter. I have always been under the impression that love, or shall I say, romantic love, is suppose be about two people understanding each other, not having to say anything and know what the other is thinking. Love is not all the crazy things that some people endure for the sake of saying this is love.

A few years ago, I knew this young lady who had been with this guy since grade school. She followed him around like a puppy and he treated her like she was his little dog. As time went on she had had a few children with him. During all these years he continued to have a chick on the side, not just one, but whoever fell prey to his appeal. I could never understand how she allowed herself to be treated that way, but she continued to tell me that she loved him and that's all she knew. After a while he was forced, or rather encouraged to marry her, as she had started a family for him.

One day she came to me wailing. She had revealed that he was angry at her for confronting him about one of his chicks. Their argument became physical and he kicked her in her in the vagina. I was stunned and insisted that she leave this man. Arrangements were made so that she and the children could escape him. 

She was to leave on the bus in the following morning. I knew she was gone. I knew I had done everything I could for her. I was proud that I had saved a woman from her tormentor. But, I was wrong. She decided to give him another chance, "she loved him and he loved her," she said. A few months later, the entire family moved two states away. Her hope was that the move would get him away from the women here. But she didn't realize that women are everywhere you go? 

Luke and Laura did have one of the biggest weddings on television. The thing is, the powers that be can turn something insidious into a beautiful love story. That is not the case in reality, but some people really think that love is suppose to be this difficult. I beg to differ.

No comments:

Post a Comment