Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mom's 80th

My mother just turned 80 yrs young. Now a lot of people can't say that, but I am glad she has lived this long. My mother has had a lot of ups and downs. Her father died when she was 14 yrs old, and she just happened to be in the car with him. She married my father before she turned 19 yrs old and he died 11 years ago. My older brother died last year and she is still suffering the grief of losing her first born.

Mom grew up on a farm in Lunenburg County, VA and by all accounts she had a lot on her plate from a very small child. She was depended on to help raise her younger siblings and got in trouble if anything happened, even at 5 years old. My mother was looked at by her younger sisters and brothers as their mom. 

I recall her telling me that she learned how to cook when she was 11 years old and had to get up early Sunday morning to make rolls. She still makes rolls to this day for us. Mom has made a meal almost everyday since I was a kid. Fried chicken, pork chops, greens, etc. She would start early in the afternoon to prepare the meal for the day. Years ago when my son was in school and he had to stay there until I got off work she made sure that a nice hot meal was prepared when he arrived. I was able to get something to eat, but her concern was her grand baby. 

She was able to attend college, although she was awarded a $500 scholarship to go to school to learn how to play the piano professionally, however that wasn't enough. Being the four of 10 kids (the 11th died at birth), with a widowed mother and living on a farm, didn't allow her to dream of being able to go to school. She did play the piano at churches through the years. Mom made the best of things, as she could. She began "courting" my father, who also lived on a farm, the youngest of nine children, her mother and grandmother thought that he would make a good husband and she agreed to marry him. They were married for 50 years and my brother and I gave them an anniversary party and gave them the wedding they didn't have the first time.

Mom was a cosmetologist, but retired from working in the beauty shop in 1977 after back surgery. She doesn't do too much hair now. As far as the piano, she is, from time to time asked to play the piano at some church. My mother says that if GOD gives you a gift, you have to use it, and that is what she does.

We took Mom out for her 80th birthday, without Dad and without Teddy, but she still enjoyed the meal, just the same, since she didn't have to make it herself.


Happy Birthday Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment