Wednesday, September 14, 2016

My First Novel


I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life until my son advised me that I needed to do something with it. He had just started college and I had nothing to do, but I always knew that there was more to my life than just working a 9-5 for someone else. I had written from time to time and was quite good at it. I was constantly frustrated that I and bored with my life at the time. The thought of what to do failed me. One day when I was on my way to church I had an epiphany: the entire story of a novel came to me. I thought for a moment then said out loud, "Okay, Lord. Is that what you want me to do? Be a writer?" It was an interesting love story, so I thought, "Okay, then I'll do it."
When the service was over I races home to announce to my son that I was going to be a writer. He approved, but told me to do my research. I sat down later and proceeded to write my first novel, ever. It was wonderful the way I was able to put the story together. I really didn't think that I could do that, but then I realized that we are all sent to this earth with a gift and I had finally discovered mine. I was there all the time, because I had always gotten good grades in English in high school and college, but never gave it much thought. Even when I received the highest grade for a well written term paper, or when my creative writing professor made it a habit to read my papers to the class, albeit no one knew who the writer was.
The exciting part was when I finished it and had it self-published. That was so cool. Several people read the book that I had written and they wanted to know what happened to the characters. So what I ended up doing was writing a sequel. I knew that that God meant this for me all along and I have written several stories thereafter. Now, if only an agent would take time to read my stories...


No comments:

Post a Comment